I’ve found with the new USAJobs update it is not quite as simple to get a straight forward listing of the jobs you’re looking for. So, to help out those looking for government jobs in social/new media, I’ve put together a quick roundup of the web related positions I’ve found. Feel free to message me with other social media related gov job postings or add them to the comments below.
Health Systems Specialist – Dept of Veterans Affairs (GS-0761-14)
Located in Washington, DC
Note: Only open to VA employees.
- Manage multiple intranet and internet web projects and initiate and develop web-based policies.
- Use tools, software, and processes to develop and promote websites and social media sites such as Sharepoint, Dreamweaver, Facebook, Twitter, and the VA’s Enterprise Content Management System (Teamsite);
- Interpret and apply Federal regulations and implement guidelines for website and social media management.
- Provide support to health care management officials by analyzing, evaluating, advising on, and coordinating the posting of data on VHA websites.
- Prepare responses for the Director’s signature for reports from VA and non-VA sources.
Apply here by 1/17/2012.
IT Specialist (INET) – Smithsonian Institution (IS-2210-11/12)
Located in Washington, DC
- Develops innovative and interactive web sites, working with all departments within TSA, Office of the Chief Information Officer staff, and Smithsonian educators to craft a coherent new media vision consistent with TSA’s goals.
- Collaborates with designers, educators, and other museum and IT professionals to create attractive, engaging, and accessible content (making content accessible via screen readers and other devices used by individuals with disabilities), taking the lead in all informational technology, design, and educational interactive content matters.
- Oversees and provides recommendations in all technical and design issues related to the specifications of the website design and implementation, including how content is interpreted for Web audiences via the use of multimedia and mobile devices.
- Ensures that all technical, design, and content aspects of the website function effectively and consistently.
Apply here by 1/13/2012.
Technical Information Specialist (Social Media) – Food and Drug Administration (GS-1412-14)
Located in Silver Spring, MD
- The Social Media Manager will implement the Agency’s New Media Strategy, developing brand awareness, generating inbound traffic and encouraging product adoption. This role coordinates with the internal Marketing and PR teams to support their respective missions, ensuring consistency in voice and cultivating a social media referral network.
- Implement the social media strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the Agency to ensure its effectiveness and encouraging adoption of relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture and into all of the company’s products and services .
- Work with the Product development team to ensure social media tools (for ex. FB connect, Sharing buttons) are kept up to date
- Manage social media campaigns and day-to-day activities. Duties include online advocacy, writing editorial, community-outreach efforts, promotions, etc.
- Manage presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, and other similar community sites, posting on relevant blogs, and seeding content into social applications as needed.
- Become an advocate of the Company in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Manage a Blogger outreach program and build an active brand ambassador network to spread the word about the Company.
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of social media programs, and analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
- Regularly feed back insights gained from social media monitoring into the Marketing and Editorial teams, to help them evolve their strategies in a timely fashion.
Apply here by 1/18/2012.
Social Media Manager – Dept. of State (GS-1001-14)
Located in Washington, DC
- Serves as the manager of IIP social media efforts in languages such as Arabic, Persian, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, and English for international audiences, with responsibility for overseeing a staff of social media and language experts who use social medial platforms (e.g., blogs, web chats, Twitter feeds, Facebook, etc.) to engage directly with young foreign audiences on key themes that advance U.S. foreign policy objectives; and coordinates the overall direction and quality of web engagement efforts developed by staff and determines appropriate platforms for target audiences.
- Establishes monitors, and analyzes performance measures and reports to Office Director on social media. Tracks and monitors available statistical data, including site traffic, hash tags, trending topic, etc., to identify networks and discussion points likely to attract the target audience and generate the highest degree of participation; and analyzes social media trends and uses that analysis to improve messaging strategies. Researches new area of web communication and advises senior staff on social media platforms, trends, tactic and techniques.
- Consults with top management, field posts and Office Directors to analyze their needs and propose ways to use social medial to help them communicate more effectively in these forums; and organizes staff to ensure that target needs are met.
- Plans work to be accomplished and sets priorities for subordinates based upon workload and abilities.
Apply here by 1/19/2012.
Senior Web Editor (Urdu) – Broadcasting Board of Governors (GS-1001-13)
Located in Washington, DC
- Participates with management in the development and strategic planning of site content design and multimedia products and social media platforms.
- Oversees the creation and management of the production process of web content on the live site; re-purposing/creating text, digital and audio production and graphics creation/selection. Guides Web Team in finding appropriate photos, illustrations, audio, video and Internet links to add depth of knowledge to individual reports. Exercises sound editorial judgment in producing multimedia reports for a fast-paced, live news website. Maintains and promotes presence on all social media platforms.
- Maintains familiarity with diverse fields related to web development for the complex, database driven website of a broadcast news organization. Commands a comprehensive array of skills, including user-centered design, information presentation and visual design. Keeps abreast of new developments in the Internet/video technology and social media industry.
- Provides the Urdu Service guidance in and is responsible for the production values and aesthetic quality of the production and implements improvements to the website and social media platforms.
- Prepares reports on Urdu Internet programming activities, including language service Internet profiles, annual Program Review notes and website analytic reports.
- Reviews and evaluates news sources and developments to identify items for coverage and necessary updates. Assists the Service Chief in meeting changing circumstances and ensures that specific responsibilities are delegated to those best qualified.
- Suggests and implements innovation to increase the effectiveness of the Urdu Service’s website, multimedia products and social media platforms. Proposes and executes new projects to make the Service’s Internet presence more competitive.
Apply here by 1/24/2012.